Acne is a skin condition that has affected almost 85 percent of people at some point in their lives. Known as one of the most common skin issues in the world, it can be embarrassing and unsightly, and is something that people struggle to overcome.
Using conventional treatments often times can have little or no effect on acne, as they treat the condition topically without addressing the underlying issues and contributing factors to the problem. Many sufferers eventually seek out alternate forms of skincare that soothe and balance out the skin naturally and without harsh chemical additives and fillers.
Thanks to those that have gone before and have experimented with natural ingredients from their own kitchens and medicine cabinets, finding a diy home remedy for irritated and inflamed skin has never been easier. There are now several natural alternatives proven to work on stubborn skin. Here are a few of our favorites.
What Causes Acne?
When pores in your skin become irritated and clogged due to excess oil, dirt, and dead skin cells, the result is a swollen pore called a pimple. The classic red, raised bump is a source of embarrassment and in some cases, pain for many. This infection and inflammation can spread to other pores nearby, causing breakouts to occur. Some factors contributing to the development of this inflammation are genetics, diet, stress, and other environmental factors.
What Natural Remedies Are Available To Me?
1) Apple Cider Vinegar – any form of vinegar is an excellent toner and cleanser. It is antibacterial in nature, and it is able to strip the skin of oil, dirt, and grime without disturbing the natural ph balance of your skin. Lactic acid, a compound present in apple cider vinegar, is also known to reduce the appearance of redness and scars; regular use will improve the look and feel of your skin. You may smell like a pickle, but your complexion will glow!
2) Use A Honey And Cinnamon Mask – honey and cinnamon are both excellent sources of antioxidants, which will target free radical damage to the skin. They also both have the ability to combat bacteria and reduce inflammation. Mix 2 tablespoons of honey with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon to form a thick paste, then apply to affected areas. Leave on for 10-15 minutes, then rinse with warm water and pat dry.
3) Soothe Skin With Tea Tree Oil – tea tree oil is a natural derivative of the Melaleuca plant native to Australia. Several studies have now shown that applying a topical solution containing 5% tea tree oil has significantly reduced redness and inflammation. When compared to benzoyl peroxide treatments used in patients, tea tree oil was shown to produce fewer reports of redness, drying, itching, etc.
4) Apply Green Tea To The Skin – green tea is rich in antioxidants and serves as a good overall toner for skin. Flavonoids and tannins in green tea are proven to reduce redness, irritation and inflammation, and regular use can aid in keeping pores clear as well. Applying green tea mixture is easy as well; simply steep green tea bags in water for 3-4 minutes, then apply directly to the skin using a cotton ball or fill a spray bottle and mist your face twice daily.
5) Use Witch Hazel To Clarify Skin – witch hazel is extracted from the leaves and bark of the North American witch hazel shrub. Not only does witch hazel have anti-inflammatory properties, it cleanses and clarifies the skin, leaving it fresh and bright. Witch hazel is so powerful that it is also used to treat such skin conditions as eczema, varicose veins, burns and insect bites. It would do you well to stock some witch hazel in your pantry to cure all sorts of skin ailments.
6) Moisturize And Balance With Aloe Vera – this diy moisturizer is one of nature’s little miracles. Aloe vera is a clear gel that comes from the aloe plant; when applied to the skin, it reduces inflammation, helps heal abrasions, and significantly reduces breakouts. Including aloe vera in your skincare regime will improve the look and feel of your skin.
Finding a home remedy that improves your skin is beneficial in many ways. Not only are you treating yourself to all natural products, which are better for your body, but many home remedies can be purchased or made for pennies on the dollar. Trying one or many of these strategies to heal your skin will leave you lighter, brighter, and more confident. Time to put your best face forward!